Dong Van Stone Plateau: A wild and majestic landscape

The plateau is often cold and sad. Going to Dong Van Stone Plateau felt more and more aware of that and the solitude of the remote region when being alone through hundreds of miles of rocky mountains.

There are rocky mountains that account for 70% of the natural area, the remaining 30% is earth … mixed with rocks; Dong Van Stone Plateau (Ha Giang province) is probably the most special among the UNESCO heritage sites in our country.

Dong Van Stone Plateau

Spanning over four northern border districts: Quan Ba, Yen Minh, Meo Vac, Dong Van, with an area of ​​more than 2,350 square kilometers, this highland has been called a “rock plateau” since it was not known as a heritage. , along with beautiful examples: a dance of rocks, stone flower forest, rocky sea …

From milestone 0 in Ha Giang city, up to Tam Son town (center of Quan Ba ​​district – “lowland” of rock plateau) is 40km; But just over half the distance, to reach the border of Quan Ba, you touched the rocky plateau, started a steep pass journey, was a feeling of overwhelming the grandeur of nature and creation.

Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark
Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark

The more you go, the more you feel that the stone is the material, the lines, the shape, the color; the dominant sound of this plateau. The life of about 250,000 people of 17 ethnic groups (70% of whom are the Mong) is survival with rocks, rugged terrain, and severe climate. But thanks to that, there is a clear, sparkling presence that shines the unique cultural values ​​and indigenous architecture.

On October 3, 2010, Dong Van Stone Plateau was officially recognized by UNESCO as a Global Geopark. This is the first – only title in Vietnam and second in Southeast Asia. Also from here, Dong Van rocky plateau has a longer and more beautiful name: Global Geopark ‘Dong Van Stone Plateau’. The plateau is also easy for people to dream as if it is easy to sublimate from above.

The Happiness Road
The Happiness Road

More than a hundred years ago, French scholars called Ma Pi Leng (Meo Vac) peak; 2,000m above sea level, and Dong Van rock plateau; is “Geological Monument”. The 12km long pass on the 22km road from Dong Van to Meo Vac; this number sounds too modest, but here it deserves a record.

The road titled Happiness was completed in six years (1959 – 1965); with the strength of tens of thousands of young volunteers and 2.2 million working days. On the stele at the top of the pass is still inscribed: “Particularly on Ma Pi Leng slope, workers hung themselves for 11 months to open the way”.

Leave a Reply