Here are the 4 most famous places for you to admire the Northwest ripening season with majestic terraced fields and advice for you:
Sa Pa (Lao Cai)
Sa Pa is located more than 300 km from Hanoi, is one of the few tourist attractions that attract tourists at all times of the year. When the rice is ripe, all over the hilly and valley areas at the foot of the Hoang Lien Son range are yellowed the color of ripe rice mixed with the green color of the mountains and forests.
Terraced fields spread throughout Sa Pa, but beautiful places to visit and take pictures are mainly concentrated in the Muong Hoa valley. Ta Van, Ta Phin, Cat Cat, Sin Chai villages are typical names for your visit.
- The weather in Sa Pa at this time has turned cold at night and early morning. To keep warm, bring a thin jacket when you come here, preferring windbreakers.
- Besides, it is necessary to bring more masks because the main road in Sa Pa is very dusty, with many cars. When going to areas with terraces, you should prepare a pair of dark boots or shoes as the risk of getting dirty is very high.
- Remember to bring your driver’s license to rent a motorbike, convenient for your commute here.
Y Ty (Lao Cai)
Y Ty is a highland commune in Bat Xat district, Lao Cai province. When the Northwest falls in the autumn, Y Ty wears a yellow robe of terraced fields, bringing with him the scent of ripe rice and plants.
Along the way, you can stop at Y Ty at places such as Lung Po stream junction with Red River, A Lu field, Den Thang field, Den Sang cardamom forest … Especially the mountain range Nhi Cu San, the number one “cloud hunting” in Y Ty, is often passed on by tourists.
Running along the roads around Y Ty, you will meet terraced fields on both sides of the road with typical Ha Nhi houses. If you want to learn more about the Ha Nhi people’s lives, visit the villages of Lao Chai 1, Lao Chai 2… which are only about 3-5 km from the commune center.
- A pair of boots or shoes specialized in walking will be effective here, especially when the Ha Nhi people still leave the sewer to discharge livestock waste openly on the village roads.
- Food in Y Ty is quite a few to choose from. In addition, Y Ty is still a poor highland commune, so there is no restaurant that regularly serves specialties. It is best to bring your favorite foods when going to Y Ty to avoid going hungry.
- The road from Bat Xat to Y Ty is very convenient, completely paved with little cars; so you just need to keep the right speed, ensuring safety for yourself and your companions.
Hoang Su Phi (Ha Giang)
Hoang Su Phi is a highland border district of Ha Giang province with the most beautiful terraced fields in Vietnam. Terraced fields here are recognized as a National Monument in 2012; located in the area of 6 communes: Ban Luoc, San Sa Ho, Ban Phung, Ho Thau, Nam Ty, and Thong Nguyen. Hoang Su Phi district has about 3,000 hectares of terraced fields spread all over the hills and mountains.
Although there are more than 3,000 hectares of terraced fields, the most beautiful place to visit is in San Sa Ho, Ban Phung, and Ho Thau communes.
- The weather in Hoang Su Phi has also turned cold at night, so bring a jacket to keep warm.
- The road from Ha Giang city to Hoang Su Phi district and surrounding communes is very narrow, winding, and many trucks. You need to be very careful when driving here to ensure your own safety.
Mu Cang Chai (Yen Bai)
Mu Cang Chai district, Yen Bai has 2,200 ha of terraced fields. In which, the total area of terraced fields in three communes La Pan Tan, Che Cu Nha, and Di Xu Phinh is 500 ha. This is the heritage of the Mong people, granted by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism on October 18, 2007, a leading unique and special landmark in Vietnam. Within a radius of 20 km, the fields are located in the middle of the mountain, lower down to the river below.
There are many destinations for you to admire the scenic beauty of Mu Cang Chai terraced fields; most notably Tu Le valley, La Pan Tan, Khau Pha pass – one of the four great peaks of the Northwest pass.
- The road to Mu Cang Chai is quite convenient but still needs you to calmly handle situations on the steep pass. Avoid coming here on rainy days as there is a danger of a landslide that puts you in danger.